What are CHSP services?
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is a service that offers entry-level or low-level support for seniors who are 65 years and above. These services aim to assist them with daily living activities at home, increase their independence over time, and stay socially active. It is an integral part of the government’s Aged Care initiative.
Older Australians are usually granted CHSP before obtaining support through the government’s Home Care and residential aged care programs. Approximately 70% of all Aged Care consumers utilise CHSP.
These services include:
- Cleaning and personal care
- Allied Health and Therapy Services
- Social support
- Home modifications
Things you must do before providing CHSP services
1. Ensure your eligibility
- Be an entity type, such as a company, corporation, charity, or trustee.
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Be registered for GST
- Have an Australian bank account
- Operate a business in Australia
- Offer a service that is recognised by the Commonwealth Home Support Programme
2. Apply for a grant
Please note that you cannot use your grants for land purchases, covering retrospective costs, treatment for acute illnesses, client’s accommodation payments, international travels, or purchasing household items that do not help increase the client’s functionality of independence.
3. Publish information about your services
4. Understand your responsibilities
Being a service provider, you are expected to carry several responsibilities on your shoulder. You must thoroughly understand them before delivering services so you do not miss out on any of them.
- Keep referring to your grant agreement as it is legally binding.
- You must provide all your clients with a copy of the Charter of Aged Care Rights.
- Only accept referrals if you can provide timely services.
- You must meet the Aged Care Quality Standards. This will also help you during quality reviews.
- Always remember to take your client’s consent, let them set their own goals, and decide the fees before you deliver any service.
Seeking to become a CHSP provider?
Are you planning to become a provider, but the lengthy process daunts you? Rest assured, as Fronto Advisory has got your back! Being highly specialised in the home care market, our consultants and advisors can help you become a provider successfully. Our skilled and knowledgeable team will ensure that you face no barriers and have a seamless grant application process.
We offer several services, including but not limited to:
- Grant application write-up, preparation, and submission
- Aged Care industry consultation
- Business setup and service delivery advice
- Comprehend rules and guidelines
- Set up MyCare profile
If you wish to avail yourself of these services, please feel free to contact us.