Close this search box.


CRICOS stands for Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. It was formed by the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 to authorise the education of overseas students in Australia. 

In Australia, institutes must be registered under CRICOS to teach overseas students. Overseas students must hold a student visa in Australia and are there to complete their studies. Some Vocational Education and Training (VET) institutions apply for CRICOS registration, and there can be two reasons for it:

  1. They might want to teach overseas students, or 
  2. they might want to deliver English language courses to overseas students.

Why Do You Need CRICOS?

After COVID-19, international students are finally getting the chance to study overseas. Australia is one of the countries in which education is highly sought after. As of October 2019, more than 700,000 overseas students are living in Australia. This is an opportunity for all educational institutions. 


Suppose your RTO is registered under The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), and you want to teach overseas students as well. In that case, you can apply for CRICOS registration even if your business is not yet registered for VET. You can apply for both VET and CRICOS registration to be able to educate overseas students. 


Another reason for getting your business CRICOS registered is because you want to teach English to overseas students. There are many students that choose to learn English. Learning English in an English-speaking country is beneficial for the students as it helps them in job-seeking opportunities and builds more connections to the Australian community. You need to put English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) in your CRICOS registration application.

How To Apply For Registration?

ASQA requires the following documents to proceed with your registration process for CRICOS:

  1. A financial viability risk assessment: To ensure that you are financially capable of bearing the running cost of your business.
  2. Proper person requirements declaration: To ensure that the training providers are all capable and have the characteristics to provide high-quality services and training to overseas students.
  3. Self-assessment forms: The self-assessment forms are to prove that providers are capable of providing training along with administrative duties they are assigned to perform. It also tests their knowledge about VET and CRICOS.

How To Get International Students?

After successfully getting your CRICOS registration, there are other things you need to consider in order to get overseas students. First and foremost, is to put out your enrollment and admission information as soon as possible. International students are always looking for opportunities to study abroad, and they have to take care of many things before applying to study abroad (i.e. visas, documents, attestations, etc). Mention the courses you are offering in your training program so the students can have a clear vision of what they are being offered. 


Secondly, plan out the process of testing the student’s competency so that you can enrol them into your RTO. VET has assessment methods which can help you analyse the student’s ability. Make sure you plan it out perfectly so you can pick the best students for your RTO. 


Lastly, you also need to ensure that your staff are well knowledged and are qualified to teach the courses. You want to have the best staff teaching the courses you intend to offer. This can promote your RTO to be of high standards and that can attract more students to enrol.

CRICOS Registration Made Simple!

Fast-track your CRICOS registration and get registered hassle-free with Fronto Advisory. Save time and avoid mistakes that can significantly delay your application. We will shoulder your responsibilities and work with you through each stage of the registration process. 


Call us today or fill out a form and we’ll call you back.

Success Starts With Fronto Advisory

Get in touch with an advisor for a no obligation, free consultation. Contact us via phone or request a call back.

Contact us now

Our offices

Sydney: Suite 1A Level 2, 802-808 Pacific Highway, Gordon NSW 2072

Melbourne: 98 River Esplanade, Docklands VIC 3008

Request a call back

error: This content is protected.
Fronto Advisory

Ready to join our network of satisfied clients?

Explore your opportunities by booking a no obligation, free consultation.